On Wednesday, July 11, the U.S. House of Representatives’ Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure’s Subcommittee on Aviation is holding a roundtable discussion on emerging issues related to the domestic use of counter-drone systems.
The roundtable, chaired by U.S. Rep. Frank LoBiondo, R-N.J., will begin at 10:00 a.m. in Washington, D.C. The event will be shown via live stream here.
Roundtable participants will include as follows:
- Angela Stubblefield, deputy associate administrator for security and hazardous materials safety at the Federal Aviation Administration;
- Steven Mucklow, special assistant to the deputy assistant secretary of defense for homeland defense integration and defense support of civil authorities at the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD);
- David Silver, vice president of civil aviation at the Aerospace Industries Association;
- Lisa Ellman, co-executive director of the Commercial Drone Alliance; and
- Douglas Johnson, vice president for technology policy at the Consumer Technology Association.
As explained by the Commercial Drone Alliance, the purpose of the event is to review issues relating to the domestic use of counter-unmanned aircraft system (c-UAS) technologies. Participants will discuss lessons learned since the passage of the National Defense Authorization Act of 2017, actions that can be taken by civil UAS operators to mitigate problems, and ongoing efforts by the FAA and the DoD to minimize any impacts caused by c-UAS use on the National Airspace System. Participants will also discuss Section 336 reform and remote identification.
“For the commercial drone industry to truly take off and benefit the American public, we need a systematic framework that enables the development of highways in the sky,” says Lisa Ellman, co-executive director of the Commercial Drone Alliance. “The Commercial Drone Alliance welcomes the opportunity to work with the federal government on issues related to drone security in an effort to enhance safety and security and promote the growth of the commercial drone marketplace.”